The Palestinian National Authority
فلسطين transliterated as Filastin or Falastin
Forma de Estado:
Sistema de Gobierno:
- Founding date/ Date of independence: Not yet a recognised independent state because under occupation. After Israel was declared a state in 1948, what remained of Palestine came under Jordanian (the West Bank and East Jerusalem) and Egyptian control (the Gaza Strip). Since the Six-day 1967 war the whole of Palestine became a territory occupied by Israel.
- Date of constitution/reform: The Palestinian "Basic Law", passed in 2002, serves the purpose of a constitution, until a Palestinian state is established. It has been amended twice: in 2003 to create the post of "Prime Minister" and in 2005 to establish a new electoral law.
- Form of state: Unitary
- Administrative divisions: 16 governorates or muhafaza. 11 in the West Bank and 5 in the Gaza strip
- Official language(s): Arabic
- Other spoken languages: Hebrew and English
- Official religion: The Basic Law states that Islam is the official religion but calls for respect and sanctity for other "heavenly" religions
- Minorities: Reserved seats for religious minorities; Christians (Greek Orthodox, Armenians, Catholics, Copts, Maronites, Melkites, Jacobites, Syriacs); and Samaritans (in Nablus).
- Dominant actor(s): Israel as occupying force
- Elected institutions of government: Presidency, Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC) or Parliament and Palestinian National Council (PNC).
- Non-elected institutions of government: -
- Party system: Multi-party system
- Head of state: Mahmud Abbas (Abu Mazen), since January 205.
- Head of government: Mohammad Shtayyeh, replaced Rami Hamdallah in April 2019.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs: Riyad al- Malki
- Minister of Interior: Said Abu Ali
- Head(s) of Legislative Branch: Aziz Duweik
- Composition legislative branch: Link to PDF
- Head of the Judiciary: Farid al-Jallad
- Schematic representation of the political system:
- In Gaza: Head of government: Ismail Haniyya
- Government (in Arabic)
- Ministry of Interior
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Basic Law
- Largest Arabic Newspaper: al-Quds
- English Information Site: Palestine News Network
- Official News Agency: Wafa
- Other News Agency: Maan News
- Central Electoral Commission
- Election laws
- Palestine Legislative Council (in Arabic)
- Palestine National Council (in Arabic)