The opposition decided yesterday to launch a campaign in all the five constituencies to boycott the Dec 1 general elections after it said that its boycott of candidate registration had been very successful. Speaking after a meeting of former opposition MPs and youth activists, former MP Jamaan Al-Harbash said that it has been decided that former lawmakers will coordinate in each constituency with youth activists to call on people to boycott the ballots.
The opposition had already formed a popular committee for boycotting the election and the committee created sub-committees in various constituencies to coordinate the boycott campaign which the opposition hopes would be large in order to politically delegitimize the next National Assembly. Harbash said that the opposition is pleased with the fact that none of its members has registered to run for seats in the upcoming elections and said he is confident the Kuwaiti people will also boycott the ballot boxes. The former lawmaker also said the opposition is pleased with the huge attendance of last Sunday’s rally at the Irada Square opposite the Assembly, saying that it was the largest gathering ever at the square, even larger than the one in November last year that led to the resignation of the former prime minister.
Harbash did not say if the opposition plans to organize new demonstrations like the previous two on Oct 21 and Nov 4.
In a related development, the chief of Awazem tribe, Falah bin Jame yesterday strongly criticized members of his tribe who registered as candidates in the election, saying that he will never receive them at his diwaniya if they do not pull out. Jame insisted that the Awazem, the largest Bedouin tribe in Kuwait, will boycott voting in the December election because of the one-vote system, saying that he strongly backs the boycott but is against rallies and demonstrations.
Authorities meanwhile have summoned six young tweeters for investigation over accusations that they undermined the status of HH the Amir on the Twitter. The tweeters, who include a woman, were interrogated at the detectives department and then referred to the public prosecution, which will officially interrogate them over the same charge. The prosecution may release them on bail pending further interrogation or remand them in custody for 10 days.