Islamic Republic of Mauritania
الجمهورية الإسلامية الموريتانية
Forma de Estado:
Sistema de Gobierno:
- Founding date/ Date of independence: 28 December 1960
- Date of constitution/reform: 1991/1996, amended in 2012
- Form of state: Unitary, under devolution or deconcentration process.
- Administrative divisions: 12 wilayat (regions), 52 mugatat (provinces) and 1 capital district.
- Official language(s): Arabic, and recognized as national languages: Arabic, Peul, Soninké and Wolof.
- Other spoken languages: French
- Status of religion: Islam (non denominational), official religion.
- Minorities: Arab-Berbers form the majority, haratin (freed slaves and descendants) and Sub-Saharan ethnic groups are important minorities.
- Dominant actor(s): Army
- Elected institutions of government: presidency, government, two chambers of Parliament and local authorities.
- Non-elected institutions of government: regional governors.
- Party system: semi-competititve and fragmented. There are at least two main parties, the UPR (Union for the Republic) and islamist Tawassoul.
- Head of state: Mohamed Ould Ghazouani, since August 2019, replacing Mohamed Ould Abdelazziz (2009-2019).
- Head of government: Béchir Sidiya, since August 2019.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs: Hamadi Ould Baba Ould Hamadi
- Minister of Interior: Mohamed Ould Boilil
- Head(s) of Legislative Branch: Messaoud Ould Bouljeir
- Composition legislative branch: Link to PDF
- Head of the Judiciary: Sghair Ould M'bareck (Constitutional Court)
- Schematic representation of the political system: Link to PDF
- Head of State Office
- Government: Prime Minister Office
- Ministry of Interior: official website
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: official website
- National Assembly:
- Main national newspaper (Arabic): al-Akhbar
- Main journal in foreign language (French): Cridem
- Public Information Site: Bewaba
- Election Code: Compilation of relevant legal texts (Rachad Center)
- News Information Agency: AMI
- Legal Official Journal: Journal officiel de la République Islamique de Mauritanie
- Election Authority: Commission Électorale Nationale Indépendante (CENI)