Republic of Mali
Name in local language:
République du Mali; Mali ka Fasojamana
Form of government:
- Founding date/ Date of independence: 22 September 1960 (from France)
- Date of constitution/reform: 12 January 1992; modified in 1999
- Form of state: Unitary
- Administrative divisions: 8 regions; 1 district (Bamako)
- Official language(s): French
- Other spoken languages: Bambara, Dogon, Songhai, Soninké, Bobo, Peul, Tamasheq, Hassaniya.
- Official religion: Secular
- Minorities: linguistic-ethnic: bambara, malinkés, soninkés, peul, senufos, bozos, dogons, songhais, jassonkés, tuareg, maure, arabs, kunta; religious: christians.
- Dominant actor(s): in occupied northern regions: armed islamist groups, rebel tuareg groups and terrorist groups; in southern regions: the army and religious and traditional leaders.
- Elected institutions of government: President, National Assembly, municipal councillors.
- Non-elected institutions of government:
- Party system: multy-party system.
- Head of state: Ibrahim Boubacar Keita (since 4 September 2013, was ousted in the 18th August 2020 military coup and replaced by a Military Junta. Bah Ndaw is the provisional president of the state since September 20th 2020. As a result, Mali has been suspended of the African Union.
- Head of government: Boubou Cisse, since April 2019. Ousted on August 18th by the Military Junta. Acting prime minister is Moctar Ouane since August 27th, 2020.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs: Abdoulaye Diop, until coup.
- Minister of Interior: Abdoulaye Idrissa Maïga, until coup.
- Head(s) of Legislative Branch: Younoussi Touré, until coup. The parliament was replaced by the National Transition Council on december 2020, led by speaker Malick Diaw.
- Composition legislative branch: Link to PDF
- Head of the Judiciary:
- Schematic representation of the political system:
- Presidency of Mali
- Government of Mali - 2
- Ministry of Territorial Administration, Decentralization and Territorial Planning
- Ministry of Interior Security and Civil Protection
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- National Assembly
- Press: Le Combat
- Press: Malijet – Compilation of news in French from leading local and international newspapers
- Press: Maliactu -- Compilation of news in French fom leading local and international newspapers
- Election Law
- Constitutional Court
- Official Gazette: Journal officiel de la République de Mali
- Civil Society Actors involved in Election Affairs: https://www.facebook.com/SOSDemocratie/; http://www.gndem.org/taxonomy/term/143